Other Fell and Hill Championships
Sponsored by Pete Bland Sports and Inov-8
The Lakeland Classics Trophy (now in its 20th year) recognises performance in a series of seven classic Lakeland races. Perpetual mounted slate trophies are presented to First Male, Female and Team, and limited edition Bentham mugs are awarded to category winners.
SUPER LONG ‘A’ RACES
- Saturday 4th June. Duddon Valley
- Saturday 11th June. Ennerdale Horseshoe
- Saturday 25th June. Buttermere Horseshoe
- Saturday 9th July. Wasdale
LONG ‘A’ RACES
- Saturday 6th August. Borrowdale
- Saturday 17th September. Three Shires
Best three performances to count, that must include a minimum of two Super Long races plus any other of the six races. Points scoring based on finish times rather than positions.
Entry to the Trophy competition is free.
More details and results to be found on the Lakeland Classics website
Each Autumn a panel of "long-distance enthusiasts" examines details of outstanding long distance performances and chooses a suitable recipient for the award. To nominate completion of a challenge you think would be of interest contact Martin Stone - for reference see the Guidelines.
- Martin Stone, Sleagill Head Farm, Sleagill, Penrith, CA10 3HD
SHROPSHIRE HILLS RACES
- Saturday 5th February. Titterstone Clee Race
- Sunday 6th February. Long Mynd Valleys
- Saturday 5th March. Stretton Hills
- TBC April. Wrekin Fell Race
Summer Series – Proposed List – check for changes:-
- Wednesday 20th April. Caradoc Classic
- Wednesday 18th May. Batch Bash
- Wednesday 1st June. Rodney’s Pillar
- TBC June. Pontesbury Fell Race
- Wednesday 13th July. Stiperstones Fell Race
- Thursday 4th August. Middletown Hill Race
- Wednesday 17th August. Ragleth Inn Fell Race.
The North Yorkshire Moors are a slightly off-the-grid gem of an upland area with a diverse range of terrain stretching from the eastern North Sea coast to the western edge with the Moors' high point, ‘Round Hill’, at 454 metres and Sutton Bank on the south-east corner with glorious views across the Vale of York.
Fell racing on the North Yorkshire Moors and the name Dave Parry are inextricably linked, the winter and summer fell race series, the bedrock of fell racing, being named in his memory. The fell racing year of typically 25 and more races opens halfway through the winter series with the Captain Cook's Race on New Year's Day (not a series counter). Our AL race, Bilsdale, is held in March and the winter series rounds off with Blakey Blitz, a tough AM. The Fox and Hounds Chase in May opens the Summer Series. 2022 sees a return of old and new races including Glaisdale Rigg, Cock and Howe and Beyond, Viking Chase and, concluding the series, Fryup Frazzler in September. The summer will hopefully see a short series of country show fell races. October is time for the return of winter series racing, including Saltergate Gallows, Eskdale Eureka and, to finish the year, festive favourite Guisborough Woods on 27 December.
To check on latest race information go to:- http://eskvalleyfellclub.org/
- 13th March Brough Law
- 24th April Blakey Blitz
- 15th May Fox & Hound
- 6th July Commondale Beacon
- 27th August Bellingham Show
- 13th November Saltergate Gallows
- 11th December Simonside Cairns
The races announced for the Dartmoor Fell Race Series are shown below, but check the Series website for latest updates.
- MAY14 Meldon Fell Race
- MAY28 Langstone Fell Race
- JUN18 Burrator Horseshoe
- JUN22 Summer Solstice
- JUL10 Cosdon
- JUL16 Haytor Heller
- JUL27 Postbridge
- AUG10 Ivybridge 3 tops
- AUG24 Great Links Tor – flyer
- SEP7 Sourton tor race
2022 Yorkshire Fell Running Senior & U23 Championship races - Saturday 18th June Buckden Pike fell race 6km/486m.
2022 Yorkshire Fell Running U13, U15, U17 & U19 Championship races - Sunday 27th February 2022 – Hoppits Hill fell race
2022 British Fell & Hill Running Inter County U15, U17 & U19 Championship races - Sunday 15th May at the Great Whernside – Spring Edition fell race
2022 British Senior & U23 Mountain Running Inter County Championship race - Saturday 7th May - Llanberis – Moel Eilio Ridge race, North Wales
For latest information on Yorkshire County events see the Woodentops website.
BOFRA organise a series of fell races and an annual championship. The races tend to be short, steep and challenging and there is a strong emphasis on junior races, with categories from U9 to U17. Everyone is welcome to compete in BOFRA races, (you do not need to be a member), however members also accumulate points towards the annual championships.
Further details and fixtures are available on www.bofra.org.uk.
Welsh Fell Racing
WELSH FELL RUNNERS ASSOCIATION
- WELSH ATHLETICS: SENIOR MOUNTAIN RUNNING CHAMPIONSHIPS – Black Mountains 17th September 2022
- WELSH ATHLETICS JUNIOR MOUNTAIN RUNNING CHAMPIONSHIPS - TBC End of July, early August 2022 Betws-y-Coed
SCOTTISH HILL RUNNERS CHAMPIONSHIPS
The Championship will consist of six races. Four races out of six to count, which must include one race at each distance (long, medium and short).
The six races are as follows:
- Sat 9th April - Clachnaben (Medium)
- Sat 30th April - Stuc a’ Chroin (Long - Race Date provisional, to be confirmed)
- Sat 4th June - Trotternish (Long)
- Sat 2nd July - Durisdeer (Medium - Scottish counter for the British Championships)
- Sat 16th July - Meall a’Ghiuthais (Short)
- Sat 1st October - Yetholm Shepherds Show (Short)
Quality mementos (not medals) will be awarded to all members of SHR who complete the championship, whether or not they claim Scottish eligibility.
For further information on all races visit the Scottish Hill Runners website - www.shr.uk.com
Scottish Hill Runners publish a calendar of all known hill races in Scotland. To obtain a copy and for further information about the Scottish Hill Runners Championship, contact: Neil Gilmore email [email protected]
SCOTTISH ATHLETICS CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Scottish Athletics Senior Hill Running Championship: Sat 30 April (tbc) - Stuc a Chroin, Strathyre
- Scottish Athletics Junior Hill Running Championship: Sun 1 May - Lomonds of Fife, Falkland
For further information see the Scottish Athletics website or contact Hugh Buchanan email [email protected] tel: 01786 473776
2022 NIMRA CHAMPIONSHIP
The Northern Ireland Mountain Running Association organises the nine race championship, with the best five races to count, with at least one race to be completed at each distance.
- Glenariff (Saturday 12th March)
- Hill & Dale Slieve Martin TBC (Thursday 28st April)
- Scrabo (Thursday 18th August)
- The Fallows (Saturday 19th March)
- Flagstaff to Carlingford (Sunday, 19th June)
- The Buzzards Roost (Saturday 24 September)
- Annalong Horseshoe (Saturday, 21st May)
- Spelga Skyline (Saturday, 2nd July)
- Seven Sevens (Saturday 6th August)